Classes for Stroke and Brain Injury Survivors
Adult Academic Program – Robbinsdale Area Schools
Serving individuals in the metro area who have had a stroke or brain injury and who want to re-learn academic skills, improve confidence to perform lost abilities and connect with others that have similar challenges. Academic instruction in reading, writing and math.
Crystal Learning Center
305 Willow Lane
Crystal, MN 55428
Courage Kenny Rehabilitation Institute
Courage Kenny has a continuum of services to offer people with disabilities, complex health conditions or other rehabilitation needs. In addition to physical therapy, occupational therapy and speech therapy, Courage Kenny has warm-water pools and adaptive fitness centers that are options for anyone – with or without a disability.Courage Kenny also has adaptive sports and recreation opportunities, and a variety of community-based support services.
3915 Golden Valley Road
Golden Valley, MN 55422
Information on how to obtain a Certificate in Traumatic Brain Injury for educators.
1536 Hewitt Avenue
Saint Paul, Minnesota, 55104
Minnesota Brain Injury Alliance
Offers support to Minnesotans affected by brain injury through:
- Advocacy and public policy services for individuals with a traumatic brain injury and their family members
- Resource facilitation service is free, statewide telephone service that provides persons affected by brain injury with support in transitioning back to their family life, work, school and the community – interpreter services are available for non-English speakers
- Case management for individuals on traumatic brain injury or Community Alternative for Disabled Individuals waivers
- Statewide educational opportunities about brain injury for family and professionals
- Multicultural outreach to communities throughout Minnesota.
- Volunteer opportunities
Many of their publications and resources are in alternative languages. The publication, “Getting Better After Traumatic Brain Injury or Concussion” is available in PDF format in the following languages:
- English: www.health.state.mn.us/injury/pub/bibrochure.pdf
- Spanish: www.health.state.mn.us/injury/pub/bibrochurespanish.pdf
- Hmong: www.health.state.mn.us/injury/pub/bibrochure-hmong.pdf
- Russian: www.health.state.mn.us/injury/pub/bibrochure-ru.pdf
- Somali: www.health.state.mn.us/injury/pub/bibrochure-som.pdf
- Vietnamese: www.health.state.mn.us/injury/pub/bibrochure-viet.pdf
2277 Highway 36 West, Suite 200
Roseville, MN 55113
Minnesota Department of Human Resources
The Minnesota Department of Human Services helps people meet their basic needs by providing or administering health care coverage, economic assistance, and a variety of services for children, people with disabilities and older Minnesotans. In the search field, type ‘Brain Injury’.
Minnesota Low Incidence Projects
Brain Injury Association of America
Brain Injury Resource Center
Center for Disease Control
Online source for credible health information. Downloadable fact books available on subjects such as Preventing Violence and Injury, Health and Safety topics, Injury Prevention, etc.
Centre for Neuro Skills
TBI/ABI/Stroke Resource Guide. In the resource section, find a glossary of TBI terms and rating scales of brain injury.
Lash Associates Publishing/Training
Specializes in information and books for the rehabilitation and treatment of brain injury, blast injury, PTSD, and concussion. Products emphasize rehabilitation for brain injury recovery, treatment for veterans and troops with blast injury, PTSD and concussion, resources for families and caregivers after brain injury and concussion, education of students with brain injury and concussion in school, training programs on behavior, attention, memory, cognition and communication, and special products for children, adolescents and adults after brain injury.
Designed by the Brain Injury Association of New York State to help identify useful procedures for helping
students with brain injury in school and at home. LEARNet enables families and school staff to create effective intervention and support plans for students with TBI.
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke
National Resource Center on Domestic Violence
This website is written by a stroke survivor dedicated to helping people with disabilities live full lives.